Friday, November 30, 2007

A Big Camera

I've always been on the lookout for the next thing that's bigger and better, and I may have found it. I purchased a Mamiya Super 23, and a very nice 100mm f/2.8 lens for it, and now I'm waiting for the 6x7 rollfilm back to arrive before I can try it out.

Anyone who has known me photographically can say that I don't have any one camera that I could call "my camera." When people ask what kind of photography I do, or what kind of camera I use, well, there really is no easy answer for that. I love my SX-70, but it can't be used in many situations. I like my digital SLR, but can't say I love it.

Still, I want to have that one camera that I grab, that makes me think "photography" when I carry it. Well, this Mamiya definitely screams "photography" when you hold it. It won't be something to carry around all the time - it's nearly as big as my head - but I think I can learn a thing or two using it, maybe finish some projects I've been kicking around.

If nothing else, it has compelled me to sell most of my superfluous cameras, and rethink what my goals are.

No comments: